Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Human Brain is Amazing

I don't think Chapel Hill is going to shell out for CCB so I am looking into building our own web based Church Management System from scratch.

Yesterday's planning issue had to do with the calendar part of this system. I want small group leaders to be able to add events for their group to the calendar, which can then be approved later by an Admin if they require a room here at Church.

One of the features of the scheduler should be a warning if someone is going to overbook a room. So I was trying to figure out the best way to tell if two events are taking place at the same time. Here is where the human brain amazes me. We can just tell intuitively if two events overlap without really thinking about how we know.

I ended up deciding to test to see if two events do NOT overlap and deciding that they must overlap if they do not NOT overlap. This may seem complicated but there are four different ways events can overlap and only two ways they can NOT overlap.

No comments: